Monday, January 18, 2010

NBA Concept #1--Atlanta Hawks


My two life long obsessions of drawing (from my earlier age) and sports (from my teenage years) have finally collided. This past summer I ran into this freeware program called inkscape, which gives you amazing tools for editing and drawing high quality images (basically, ms paint has become obsolete).

I tinkered around with it for a while, but then thought, "What could I possibly use this for?" I'm not really an artist. But, I did notice that the clean and streamlined style of sports logos are easily replicated through this program. Well, tada! I started drawing logos with it. I ran into a board on that is full of people who just make up sports logos all day. From there I downloaded a whole bunch of templates, and after a few months later, you have this---my NBA redesign.

Basically what I will be doing here is I will be going through and redesigning or tweaking NBA team's identities.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Atlanta Hawks

For the Atlanta Hawks I combined new and old elements. Their current uniforms just don't have as much character as these. But, I will say the latter had a boring design. So, I combined the old script and numbers with the newer piping. I changed the color scheme because navy blue and red is used way too much in sports. Any time I can avoid navy blue and red I will! The third jersey I designed here is roughly based on this shelf jersey sold a few years back. I also tweaked the logos a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment